How do you receive your information?
- Clairaudience - Intuitive
This is a person who will pick up a thought and hear it. This persons mental or intellectual understanding is very important and they can make good leaders. We all know someone that we would say was a mental person, always having to understand mentally. They carefully think things through. If this person were to become enlightened they would have the ability to become a medium, someone who channels information from entities who have passed over, because their most heightened sensitivity is to hear.
- Clairvoyance- Visionary
This is a person who will pick up a thought and see it. This person has the ability to transform a thought into a vision, symbol or in colour by using their mind's eye. If an artist, a decorator, a creative person, someone who mainly uses the right side of their brain were to become enlightened they would have the ability to read auras, our chakras, draw guides and this is how they would channel what they received because the ability to see images is their most heightened sensitivity.
- Clairsentience - Prophetic (1)
This is a person who will pick up a thought and just know it. This person is sensitive to precognition and has hunches, dreams and knowings and this person usually deals with the future or present and how it will affect another. If you were to meet an enlightened Prophetic you would be able to get some information about your 'line of probability', tomorrow is not set in time remember. This could be a person who has a dream about something and that dream turns out to happen in reality. They have the ability of prediction because they 'just know' and can tune into and understand their hunches.
- Clairsentience - Feeler (2)
This is a person who will pick up a thought and transform it immediately into a feeling. This person's life can revolve around how it feels to them. Their sense of touch is well-developed and they have the ability to know people by feeling what they feel. After enlightenment, this is someone would have the ability to practice psychometry. The ability to put something belonging to someone in their hand and read the energy. Depending on their other gifts, they could tell the past, present or future from the energy. They have the ability to feel how others feel but only on the emotional level. They will be able to not only empathize but experience their pain, loss, grief etc. For instance, if they were to channel energy from a person's past life they would experience the pain and hurt that that soul experienced in that past lifetime.
Divination is defined by Webster's New World Dictionary as:
The art or practice of trying to foretell the future or explore the unknown by occult means. A prophecy, an augury.
There are an enormous variety of techniques for attempting to foretell the future.
Some include ~
- Astrology: This is the concept that one's future is dependent upon the location of the sun, moon and planets at the precise time of a person's birth.
- I Ching: This is an ancient Chinese oracle book which can be used to foretell the future, answer questions, etc. The practitioner generates a number from 1 to 64 by selecting sticks, or casting dice or coins. The oracle book assigns different meanings to each of the numbers.
- Numerology: This is the practice of assigning a digit to each letter in a person's name, and deriving a series of numbers which have special significance to the person.
- Palm reading: A person's future is foretold by observing the creases in their palm and shape of their fingers.
- Runes: These are a group of from 16 to 31 (typically 26) letters of an ancient Northern European alphabet. The letters are inscribed on small rocks or pieces of paper or plastic. The runes are cast, and the future foretold from the runes that land inverted and not inverted, as well as from their location.
- Scrying: This is a technique of producing visions of the future by gazing into a crystal ball, black mirror, bowl of water, hot coals from a fire, candle flame, bones, etc.
- Tarot cards: This involves fortune telling through the use of a pack of 78 Tarot cards. The cards are shuffled; a few are dealt and laid in a specific formation (circle, cross, square, etc.). The cards are interpreted according to their intrinsic meaning, as modified by the significance of their location.
- Teacup reading: The future is predicted by the shapes formed by tea leaves after a cup of tea has been consumed.
- Other methods: Future events have been predicted through the use of dice, dominos, dream interpretation, pendulum movements, playing cards, various trance techniques, etc.
In numerology each single digit number has an individual meaning, nuance, and energy, and often other correspondences as well. We’re going to take a look first at the single digit numbers and their basic patterns of definition:
- 1... Planet: Sun
Courage, originality, the self, beginnings, wholeness, a starting point, a fresh slate, nostalgia, singularity, ego, self-awareness, rigidity, conviction, confidence, originality, independence
- 2... Planet: Moon
Duality, balance, personality, truth, pairs, dependence, decisions, patterns, love, fidelity, enterprise, finances, reflection, friendship, affirmation
- 3... Planet: Jupiter
Self-expression, triple aspects, celebration, mania, sorrow, deceit, fickleness, diligence, honesty, endeavors, patience, partnerships, joy, procreation, optimism, talent
- 4... Planet: Uranus
Stability, foundation, strength, procrastination, denial, laziness, apathy, weakness, stinginess, greed, ego, pomp, arrogance, tradition, efficiency, perseverance, routine, effort
- 5... Planet: Mercury
Instability, change, fulfillment, financial stability, irresponsibility, weakness, chaotic, argumentative, surly, bitchy, aggressive, oppressive, victorious, resourceful, adaptation, competition, challenge
- 6... Planet: Venus
Idealism, magnetism, nostalgia, identity, tradition, memorable, lucky, victorious, competitive, self-contained, anti-social, solitary, non-confrontational, crafty, generous, justice, reconciliation, equilibrium
- 7... Planet: Neptune
Perception, wisdom, mysticism, indecisive, confused, overwhelmed, tricky, dishonest, deceitful, defensive, opinionated, vengeful, frugal, stagnant, persevering, occult studies, meditation, analysis
- 8... Planet: Saturn
Power, materialism, freedom, defeated, disillusioned, repulsed, frenetic, quick, narrow-minded, fixated, single-minded, intense, industrious, concentrated, perseverance, organization, status, capability
- 9... Planet: Mars
Endings, aggression, optimistic, hopeful, wishful, happy, anxious, absorbed, disturbed, tormented, defensive, battle-weary, wealthy, accomplished, self-satisfied, purification, detachment, completion
Note: Every double digit number can be reduced to a single digit number by simply adding the digits together repeatedly until only one digit remains.
Finding Your Life Path Number
Your life path number, the number that reeks of your basic personality and the direction of your destiny, uses your birth date to reveal itself.
My birth date is September 24, 1957
Year + 1957
(Take note of the number 19, we’re going to be coming back to it.)
My life path number is 1.
This is also the number of the major arcana card The Magician. Not only will the number 1 and its energy give me insight into my personality and my destiny, but the tarot card associated with this number will lend its influence as well.
The number ‘one’ highlights independence, self-reliance, and my insistence on nonconformity and individuality. It also brings into view a rampant stubborn streak. (My husband can verify this.) The Magician highlights personal power, balance of the four elements, and a world filled with magick and the occult. He is also a gentle reminder to temper power with compassion and empathy.
We’re going back to the number 19, the first sum of the numbers in my birth date. From a tarot perspective, this number represents the major arcana card The Sun. This is a tarot card that will reveal major influences and directions in my life. It will expose characteristic tendencies, and it will open a door in my own subconscious where I may absorb the energy, the nuance, and the lessons of this card.
The major arcana card, The Sun, reeks of happiness; but sometimes this happiness comes at a price, and sometimes it comes after a long period of intense seeking and personal revelations. There is virtually no fairy tales in real life with happy ever after endings and stagnant heroes and heroines who remain frozen in one perfect moment of time and space. And this is not the artificial kind of ‘happiness’ that the tarot card, The Sun, represents. It has more depth than that.
A moment of happiness snatched from the teeth of sorrow is much more profound, with a much larger impact on the human psyche, than a life lived in one eternal ‘Leave it to Beaver’ episode. And that’s what this tarot card is all about.
And thus, back to our main objective. Now can you see how important these numbers are and the mysticism within the obvious and not so obvious connections? Don’t underestimate the power of numerology within the tarot.
I find it an interesting example of synchronicity that my Life Path number is 1, which also corresponds from a planetary perspective to the sun, which also connects to the major arcana card The Sun. Like I said, everything is connected and there’s no getting away from this fact.
Finding Your Personal Number
Your personal number is derived from the letters of your name and the numbers that are assigned to each. The method is the same—keep adding the numbers until a single digit remains:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z
My personal number is 7…and the major arcana card
connected to me by this number is The Chariot.
The number seven highlights my conflict with out-dated ideas and my love of writing. But it also reveals my morbid streak and a tendency to be a little too self-righteous at times. The Chariot implies movement, change, life in a constant state of flux. It also points to new adventures on the horizon, new paths—perhaps undreamed of, and possibly transportation of a more ethereal variety—enlightenment.
Don’t flinch at the negative qualities that may be exposed with these methods. In order to conquer the darker aspects of our personality, we have to face them and acknowledge them. Perhaps these personal correspondences are trying to tell me I have places to go and decisions to make.
*Note: the information on Numerology was taken from,
Tarot: A Witch's Journey (2nd Edition)
Tarot: A Witch's Journey (2nd Edition)
Palm Reading Links:
- Fehu: (F: Domestic cattle, wealth.) Possessions won or earned, earned income, luck. Abundance, financial strength in the present or near future. Sign of hope and plenty, success and happiness. Social success. Energy, foresight, fertility, creation/destruction (becoming).
Fehu Reversed or Merkstave: Loss of personal property, esteem, or something that you put in effort to keep. It indicates some sort of failure. Greed, burnout, atrophy, discord. Cowardice, stupidity, dullness, poverty, slavery, bondage.
- Uruz: (U: Auroch, a wild ox.) Physical strength and speed, untamed potential. A time of great energy and health. Freedom, energy, action, courage, strength, tenacity, understanding, wisdom. Sudden or unexpected changes (usually for the better). Sexual desire, masculine potency. The shaping of power and pattern, formulation of the self.
Uruz Reversed or Merkstave: Weakness, obsession, misdirected force, domination by others. Sickness, inconsistency, ignorance. Lust, brutality, rashness, callousness, violence.
- Thurisaz: (TH: Thorn or a Giant.) Reactive force, directed force of destruction and defense, conflict. Instinctual will, vital eroticism, regenerative catalyst. A tendency toward change. Catharsis, purging, cleansing fire. Male sexuality, fertilization. (Thorr, the Thunder god, was of Giant stock.)
Thurisaz Reversed or Merkstave: Danger, defenselessness, compulsion, betrayal, dullness. Evil, malice, hatred, torment, spite, lies. A bad man or woman. Rape?
- Ansuz: (A: The As, ancestral god, i.e. Odin.) A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom.
Ansuz Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence. (Odin is a mighty, but duplicitous god. He always has his own agenda.)
- Raidho: (R: Wagon or chariot.) Travel, both in physical terms and those of lifestyle direction. A journey, vacation, relocation, evolution, change of place or setting. Seeing a larger perspective. Seeing the right move for you to make and deciding upon it. Personal rhythm, world rhythm, dance of life.
Raidho Reversed or Merkstave: Crisis, rigidity, stasis, injustice, irrationality. Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusion, possibly a death.
- Kenaz: (K: Beacon or torch.) Vision, revelation, knowledge, creativity, inspiration, technical ability. Vital fire of life, harnessed power, fire of transformation and regeneration. Power to create your own reality, the power of light. Open to new strength, energy, and power now. Passion, sexual love.
Kenaz Reversed or Merkstave: Disease, breakup, instability, lack of creativity. Nakedness, exposure, loss of illusion and false hope.
- Gebo: (G: Gift.) Gifts, both in the sense of sacrifice and of generosity, indicating balance. All matters in relation to exchanges, including contracts, personal relationships and partnerships.
Gebo Merkstave (Gebo cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Greed, loneliness, dependence, over-sacrifice. Obligation, toll, privation, bribery.
- Wunjo: (W or V: Joy.) Joy, comfort, pleasure. Fellowship, harmony, prosperity. Ecstasy, glory, spiritual reward, but also the possibility of going "over the top". If restrained, the meaning is general success and recognition of worth.
Wunjo Reversed or Merkstave: Stultification, sorrow, strife, alienation. Delirium, intoxication, possession by higher forces, impractical enthusiasm. Raging frenzy, berzerker.
- Hagalaz: (H: Hail.) Wrath of nature, destructive, uncontrolled forces, especially the weather, or within the unconscious. Tempering, testing, trial. Controlled crisis, leading to completion, inner harmony.
Hagalaz Merkstave (Hagalaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Natural disaster, catastrophe. Stagnation, loss of power. Pain, loss, suffering, hardship, sickness, crisis.
- Nauthiz: (N: Need.) Delays, restriction. Resistance leading to strength, innovation, need-fire (self-reliance). Distress, confusion, conflict, and the power of will to overcome them. Endurance, survival, determination. A time to exercise patience. Recognition of one's fate. Major self-initiated change. Face your fears.
Nauthiz Reversed or Merkstave: Constraint of freedom, distress, toil, drudgery, laxity. Necessity, extremity, want, deprivation, starvation, need, poverty, emotional hunger.
- Isa: (I: Ice.) A challenge or frustration. Psychological blocks to thought or activity, including grievances. Standstill, or a time to turn inward and wait for what is to come, or to seek clarity. This rune reinforces runes around it.
Isa cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition: Ego-mania, dullness, blindness, dissipation. Treachery, illusion, deceit, betrayal, guile, stealth, ambush, plots.
- Jera: (J or Y: A year, a good harvest.) The results of earlier efforts are realized. A time of peace and happiness, fruitful season. It can break through stagnancy. Hopes and expectations of peace and prosperity. The promise of success earned. Life cycle, cyclical pattern of the universe. Everything changes, in its own time.
Jera Merkstave (Jera cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Sudden setback, reversals. A major change, repetition, bad timing, poverty, conflict.
- Eihwaz: (EI: Yew tree.) Strength, reliability, dependability, trustworthiness. Enlightenment, endurance. Defense, protection. The driving force to acquire, providing motivation and a sense of purpose. Indicates that you have set your sights on a reasonable target and can achieve your goals. An honest man who can be relied upon.
Eihwaz Reversed or Merkstave: Confusion, destruction, dissatisfaction, weakness.
- Perthro: (P: Lot cup, vagina.) Uncertain meaning, a secret matter, a mystery, hidden things and occult abilities. Initiation, knowledge of one's destiny, knowledge of future matters, determining the future or your path. Pertaining to things feminine, feminine mysteries including female fertility, and vagina. Good lot, fellowship and joy. Evolutionary change.
Perthro Reversed or Merkstave: Addiction, stagnation, loneliness, malaise.
- Algiz: (Z or -R: Elk, protection.) Protection, a shield. The protective urge to shelter oneself or others. Defense, warding off of evil, shield, guardian. Connection with the gods, awakening, higher life. It can be used to channel energies appropriately. Follow your instincts. Keep hold of success or maintain a position won or earned.
Algiz Reversed or Merkstave: Hidden danger, consumption by divine forces, loss of divine link. Taboo, warning, turning away, that which repels.
- Sowilo: (S: The sun.) Success, goals achieved, honor. The life-force, health. A time when power will be available to you for positive changes in your life, victory, health, and success. Contact between the higher self and the unconscious. Wholeness, power, elemental force, sword of flame, cleansing fire.
Sowilo Merkstave (Sowilo cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): False goals, bad counsel, false success, gullibility, loss of goals. Destruction, retribution, justice, casting down of vanity. Wrath of god.
- Tiwaz: (T: Tyr, the sky god.) Honor, justice, leadership and authority. Analysis, rationality. Knowing where one's true strengths lie. Willingness to self-sacrifice. Victory and success in any competition or in legal matters.
Tiwaz Reversed or Merkstave: One's energy and creative flow are blocked. Mental paralysis, over-analysis, over-sacrifice, injustice, imbalance. Strife, war, conflict, failure in competition. Dwindling passion, difficulties in communication, and possibly separation.
- Berkano: (B: Berchta, the birch-goddess.) Birth, general fertility, both mental and physical and personal growth, liberation. Regenerative power and light of spring, renewal, promise of new beginnings, new growth. Arousal of desire. A love affair or new birth. The prospering of an enterprise or venture.
Berkano Reversed or Merkstave: Family problems and or domestic troubles. Anxiety about someone close to you. Carelessness, abandon, loss of control. Blurring of consciousness, deceit, sterility, stagnation.
- Ehwaz: (E: Horse, two horses.) Transportation. May represent a horse, car, plane, boat or other vehicle. Movement and change for the better. Gradual development and steady progress are indicated. Harmony, teamwork, trust, loyalty. An ideal marriage or partnership. Confirmation beyond doubt the meanings of the runes around it.
Ehwaz Reversed or Merkstave: This is not really a negative rune. A change is perhaps craved. Feeling restless or confined in a situation. Reckless haste, disharmony, mistrust, betrayal.
- Mannaz: (M: Man, mankind.) The Self; the individual or the human race. Your attitude toward others and their attitudes towards you. Friends and enemies, social order. Intelligence, forethought, create, skill, ability. Divine structure, intelligence, awareness. Expect to receive some sort of aid or cooperation now.
Mannaz Reversed or Merkstave: Depression, mortality, blindness, self-delusion. Cunning, slyness, manipulation, craftiness, calculation. Expect no help now.
- Laguz: (L: Water, or a leek.) Flow, water, sea, a fertility source, the healing power of renewal. Life energy and organic growth. Imagination and psychic matters. Dreams, fantasies, mysteries, the unknown, the hidden, the deep, the underworld. Success in travel or acquisition, but with the possibility of loss.
Laguz Reversed or Merkstave: An indication of a period of confusion in your life. You may be making wrong decisions and poor judgements. Lack of creativity and feelings of being in a rut. Fear, circular motion, avoidance, withering. Madness, obsession, despair, perversity, sickness, suicide.
- Ingwaz: (NG: Ing, the earth god.) Male fertility, gestation, internal growth. Common virtues, common sense, simple strengths, family love, caring, human warmth, the home. Rest stage, a time of relief, of no anxiety. A time when all loose strings are tied and you are free to move in a new direction. Listen to yourself.
Ingwaz Merkstave (Ingwaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Impotence, movement without change. Production, toil, labor, work.
- Dagaz: (D: Day or dawn.) Breakthrough, awakening, awareness. Daylight clarity as opposed to nighttime uncertainty. A time to plan or embark upon an enterprise. The power of change directed by your own will, transformation. Hope/happiness, the ideal. Security and certainty. Growth and release. Balance point, the place where opposites meet.
Dagaz Merkstave (Dagaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): A completion, ending, limit, coming full circle. Blindness, hopelessness.
- Othala: (O: Ancestral property.) Inherited property or possessions, a house, a home. What is truly important to one. Group order, group prosperity. Land of birth, spiritual heritage, experience and fundamental values. Aid in spiritual and physical journeys. Source of safety, increase and abundance.
Othala Reversed or Merkstave: Lack of customary order, totalitarianism, slavery, poverty, homelessness. Bad karma, prejudice, clannishness, provincialism. What a man is bound to.
- Blank Rune: There is no historical support for a "Blank Rune" in runic divination. It was invented in the 1980's. It should not be used in a rune casting. If you bought a rune set with a blank piece, save it in case you lose another rune piece, but don't use it in rune casting.
Crystal Ball Links:
Ouija Board Links:
Tea Leaf Reading Links: