At the bottom of this page, you'll find videos of television shows dealing with hauntings, psychic experiences, and people's personal stories and adventures with the supernatural.
Welcome to my Paranormal Journal
We live in a house that has always been very active on a paranormal level. So much so, that I began recording some of these events in a Journal to keep track of these unique experiences, and I'm so glad that I did. It's interesting to go back and review the activity and to see how it was also touching other family members.
How Do You Detect the Presence of Spirits in Your House?
This is my question-of-the-week, and I thought it would be refreshing to get away from the topic of relationships for a while. Spirits are always interesting, though they are not always fun, but mostly (from my own experience) they actually are. This is just me, or maybe it’s that I’ve only had pleasant or neutral experiences with them so far. For whatever reason, I just don’t feel “frightened” by them. I have a friend that I have done House Cleansings with around the Omaha area, and the one thing that I’ve noticed is that a lot of the time you won’t have to ask yourself if you have a spirit in your house, you will most definitely know; but this is often the more extreme cases, real “hauntings” with something that is unpleasant, or obnoxious, or invasive in a very negative way. Through this experience, visiting other people’s homes and talking to them about their situations, I realize that some people are just naturally frightened by the idea of the ethereal…ghosts, spirits, anything down this road.
The house that we live in now has always had spirit activity, and I’ve only recently learned from some of my daughters, since they’ve grown, is that when they were small there was an unpleasant “something” on the landing (we have a split level home). One of my daughters told me that she felt it so strongly, and it was such a scary menacing presence to her, that she was often afraid to go up and down the stairs. Years afterwards, when I began to regularly (key word here is “regularly”) cleanse the house, this entity disappeared.
I remember the exact day I decided I had enough– I was sweeping down the stairs, on a day that I was all alone, which rarely happened with our large home-schooling family, when I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up and a rush of goose bumps come up my legs. This was accompanied by the very unnerving sensation of someone (a presence) behind me. Did this scare me? No, I actually found it interesting– but it did make me angry. I considered this an obnoxious invasion of my personal space. I threw the broom down and, muttering under my breath, I stalked off around the house to gather up white candles, and incense, salt and water, cussing the whole time. I guess I felt it was an inconvenience that was unnecessary, and I would have to take the time to straighten this spirit out and set some boundaries, rather than being able to get all the “Stuff” done that I wanted to get done while I was on my own!
My kids claimed later, and continue to do so to this day, that I tend to do too good a job of cleansing, and some of the entities we have shared this space with were actually interesting, just an integral part of the house and it’s atmosphere. So I’ve let up over the years, acknowledging that there’s enough room in this old house for everyone, as long as we all play nice in the sandbox. There have only been a handful of times in the last 20 years when I’ve had to draw some boundaries and shoo a spirit away.
Anyway, I digress, on to the subject at hand. The individual who asked me this question is obviously not sure what constitutes a spirit’s presence, and what may just be some sort of natural occurrence, or an overactive imagination. Let’s look at all those tell tale signs of spirit activity–
1) Scents: It’s happened to me before, I’ll smell my grandmother’s perfume, or her favorite flower (roses). You might smell cigars or cigarette smoke in a house where no one smokes. You might smell a loved one’s favorite food. Anytime you pick up a scent that is not explainable on a physical level, you might want to consider that it’s coming from another source. I’ve heard about (but never experienced personally) the unpleasant and obnoxious odors of malevolent spirits. This is just something to keep in mind. Most of the time it’s all good, but once in a while you might run into something unusual. The sense of smell is just another one of our six senses, just another way we learn and experience and process information about the world around us.
2) Noises: Here we go again, another one of our six senses. Several times over the past few decades, since my grandmother’s death, I have heard her call my name. Often this has happened in the dead of night and woken me out of a deep sleep, but there have been occasions where this has happened during the day, when I’m wide awake to begin with, and usually when I am alone. It’s cool, nothing scary. She’s just touching base, letting me know that she’s still near, that there is still some sort of connection. (Death isn’t the end, it’s just a different plane of existence.) Besides hearing voices, there are other odd sounds– knocking, scraping, footsteps, growling (not usually a good thing), hammering, human sounds (like hand clapping , finger snapping, muttering)…and always, you will have no logical explanation for these sounds.
3) Temperature Changes: We’re talking big in-your-face changes that are unexplainable through normal physics. This means the furnace man won’t be able to explain to you a 40 degree drop in 5 seconds. If you ask him to explain this he’s just going to stand there scratching his head; and if he’s a really savvy furnace man (who knows about ghosts and all that paranormal stuff), he’s liable to be throwing tools in his bag and scurrying from your house so fast all you see is the back of his head. I guess there are more subtle temperature changes you can experience, but people are more liable to explain them away– a sudden cold breeze that wafts through a room, gently lifting the pages of a newspaper; a momentary “chill” that gives you a shudder. Besides unusual temperature changes, you might experience drafts– the kind of draft that flickers and toys with candle flames, the kind of draft that can’t possibly come from anything of this world because there is no place for the draft to originate from.
4) Electronic/Electrical Malfunctions: We’ve often heard that the spirit world has the ability to collect energy from our electrical gadgets and use this energy to manifest all kinds of paranormal phenomena. I don’t know if any of this can ever really be scientifically proven, but it seems that a lot of these occurrences (odd things happening with your electrical gadgets, lamps, lights, computers, etc.) almost always seem to precipitate a mad rush of paranormal activity. Do you have appliances, lights, a television, computer, or other gadget that turns itself off and on? …that turns itself off and on regularly?
7) Moving Objects: This is pretty extreme and the fodder for many movies and television shows. But it does happen, and the most basic kind of activity that I’ve personally witnessed (with moving objects) involved a series of cupboard doors that would be closed one minute and all open the next; drawers or doors, same thing. I’ve yet to see anything as dramatic or theatrical as portrayed in the movies. Remember, for a spirit to move a physical object, an object of atoms and matter, it would take an incredible amount of energy.
6) The Goosebump Factor: Some people are more sensitive to the paranormal and its energy than others. There are a lot of people (a lot!) who can actually “feel” the presence of spirits, even if they are not sensitive enough to communicate with them (as a medium or psychic), they still know dang well that there is something there, and they can often pick up on positive or negative energy. Never underestimate The Goosebump Factor.
Paranormal Investigation (2012)
The small cozy little house sitting on the edge of the woods looked peaceful and content, not revealing at all its history of tragic deaths, nor it’s ghostly visitors. At one hundred years old, this house has a long rich history of families and familial events and milestones. It has witnessed weddings, births, graduations, personal victories/achievements…and death. The present owner has experienced the loss of two family members within the walls of this house. Her mother passed away from cancer in the downstairs bedroom in 2005; and its in this room where a frosty presence makes itself felt by sitting on the bed, complete with the physical sensation of movement and visible indentation in the blankets. The owner’s husband passed away in the den, in 2008, after a long and lingering illness. Although his presence can be felt— quite strongly at times— there are no visual manifestations. And it’s from this room, through glass patio doors, that deer can be seen gathering at dusk near the rear of the property. It’s in the den where a photograph of the owner’s step-son sits, a young man killed in a tragic motorcycle accident, the parents having received that devastating middle-of-the-night call all parents dread.
Upon entering the house, we realized immediately that there was very strong EMF readings, beginning at the doorway between the living room and kitchen, which was also very close to the bedroom door. Shadow figures are often seen by family members, crossing the living room and disappearing into the walls. We spent a great deal of time with the owners and the EMF detector exploring the bedroom and the doorway between the living-room and the kitchen, where the EMF detector was extremely active. We wanted to make sure that there were no electrical devices or outlets that would’ve been creating these readings. This involved moving furniture, locating all the electrical outlets, and letting the family take their time to tell their stories, voice their concerns, and formulate their questions.
When we were finally ready to ascend the stairs, the owner told us that her grandchildren refused to go upstairs; and the way the EMF detector was working as we stood at the threshold, it was no wonder. There was an almost constant scream of protest from it. The EMF detector came on while we were at the bottom of the steps and continued until we reached the doorway of the first upstairs bedroom. As investigators and home owners stood in a clump in one room, I moved around the upstairs with the EMF detector. I wished that we could just sit and spend some quiet time with cameras and instruments turned on. I think this would’ve been beneficial in catching spontaneous paranormal activity. However, the owners were enthusiastic and wanted to watch us work, continuing their chatter and speculation. For the rest of the time that we wandered the second floor of this house, the EMF activity was sporadic at best. As we worked our way from room to room, and as we descended the stairs, it fell silent. The atmosphere at the bottom of the stairs was noticably lighter. Whatever had been hovering there before seemed to be gone.
The bathroom proved to be another area that drew high EMF readings, particularly in the shower; and we discovered that this presence was there one minute and gone the next, popping in and out in a dizzying fashion. We were also informed that objects in the bathroom moved around from place to place, inexplicably, creating an unnerving atmosphere. Instead of spending one long block of time in this area, we would pop in and out throughout our investigation. I have to say that the mirrored walls added an element of creepiness to this room, as you would catch fleeting movements in the mirror that you’d see out of the corner of your eye. Of course, by the time you turned your head to see what it was, it was gone.
Around the small entryway, suspended over an old-fashioned cellar door in the floor leading to the basement, was a string of clothing. The owner informed us that these clothes belonged to her deceased husband, and that she simply couldn’t bring herself to get rid of them. There was not only EMF activity here, but the strange sensation that someone was watching us as we touched the shirts, or moved a hangar. After a few minutes in this area, several people felt the hair on their arms or the back of their neck stand up, or experienced an uncomfortable sensation which manifested as a desire to exit this spot.
Epilogue…As we worked our way through this house, not only did the EMF readings and paranormal sensations unfold before us, but the story of a family and its tragedies unfolded as well. This gave us an intimate look at characters and personalities who lived in this house at one time and who still walk its rooms and hallways, as well as the dynamics of the people still living here, and the long history of former occupants. The owners seemed relieved to share their stories, to watch instruments pick up visual proof of what they’ve known all along, and most importantly…to feel a connection with those they loved.
Monday, March 31, 2008
I had been lying awake for quite some time, as usual, tossing and turning in the dark. I glanced at the glowing face of the digital clock one more time as I fluffed my pillow.
It was going for 4am.
I lay down and closed my eyes—hoping I could get back to sleep. Suddenly, I heard a soft “click” sound. I opened my eyes to find the room aglow in the soft light of the lamp on my nightstand.
Later in the morning my 12 year old daughter told me that on a visit to the bathroom during the night, she heard a soft knocking sound. She thought someone was at the bathroom door and she opened it...no one was there.
She turned around and a small mirror hanging on the wall was gently swinging back and forth. This wall is a divider for the shower—there is nothing on the other side of it other than the shower head.
Update: At 2pm this afternoon, one of the girls was going to enter the bathroom and stopped short. She called us to come quickly and look...there was the mirror, swinging away on the bathroom wall.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Last night I had a nightmare. One so sharp and startling and real that I was covered in goosebumps when I woke up. And then, of course, I couldn't go back to sleep, so I laid there...and laid there...and...
About 3:45 am I heard the front door being opened-- my Isabella coming home-- I heard her taking keys out of the lock and I heard her give the door a mighty slam so that it shut all the way.
Then I heard someone crying-- a female voice-- soft. I raised my head off the pillow to listen better and to see if I could tell who was crying. I thought it was either Isabella or our Resident Elf (our youngest).
I got up, put my robe on, and went to see what was going on. Our little Elf was sound asleep, I pulled the covers up over her. I peeked out the living-room window, to look for Isabella's car-- the driveway was empty.
To be sure, I went to the front door-- had to unlock it-- and looked outside, stuck my head out to see clearly...the driveway was indeed empty.
I knew I had heard someone come into the house. I knew I had heard the front door being slammed shut. I knew that I had heard someone crying.
I went downstairs to the family room. My son was still awake, absorbed in the computer. I told him what I had heard. He said that he hadn't heard a sound. He went around the house with me (all 6'1" of him with a baseball bat) to check all the rooms in the house, as well as the back doors and the garage doors.
I peeked in the girls' rooms-- everyone was sound asleep and all was quiet
Tuesday, November 8, 2007
My 12 year old daughter and I were kept awake most of the night by all kinds of “noises” in the house, including the sound of a large round object being rolled up and down the wooden floor of the hallway outside our bedrooms.
When we would get up to investigate these noises, there was nothing there. Everyone else in the family had a good night's sleep and heard nothing.
March 19, 2007
A couple nights ago I sat up in my bed and watched in fascination as a small ball of light moved very slowly and deliberately back and forth, back and forth, and then up and down, up and down at the foot of my bed.
This went on for at least 3 to 5 minutes and then the light disappeared.
I was lying in bed...I thought that my husband had turned over and laid his leg across mine—I could feel the weight on my leg. It was uncomfortable and I reached down to push his leg off mine—There was nothing there. My husband was clear over on his side of our queen sized bed. I laid back down.
A few minutes later he said, “Did you hear that?”
I asked what and he said, “It sounded like something running across the floor.”
The sensation of weight on my leg was gone.
Sunday, August 13, 2008
My 19 year old daughter told me she has begun to see “spiders” out of the corner of her eye—spiders that aren’t really there. I have also been experiencing this strange phenomenon with spiders, and this is why I found it so extraordinary—I hadn’t discussed my experiences with her.
Friday, June 17, 2006
During the past couple of weeks...
1. I was working at the island in the kitchen. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw my husband standing in the kitchen doorway (in his yellow shirt and blue shorts). It startled me and I was just ready to blurt out, “How did you get home so early?!”...
There was no one there.
2. I was lying down—getting ready to settle in, when I looked in the dresser mirror. Reflected within this mirror was the mirror across the room. Rising within the mirror within the mirror was a dark object.
I was startled and at first I was not going to look, but I did—
It was the image of my husband wearing a yellow shirt and dark shorts. He was staring at me.
(His physical self was lying beside me, sound asleep.)
3. I’m doing a tarot spread by candlelight on my bed. Everyone is out in the living room watching TV. I suddenly feel the bed push down, like when someone leans on the mattress.
I thought it was my husband and he was getting ready to say “boo” to scare me. I spun my head around, starting to shout, “Don’t you dare!”...
There was no one there.
Wednesday, June 1, 2005
I was lying in bed awake and my husband was leaving the room to go make coffee. I turned over in bed and glanced up—I saw a large spider, larger than anything I’d ever seen before. It was seemingly dangling in mid-air, suspended—I presumed-- from a thread of web. I sat up and opened my mouth to call my husband back into the bedroom.
Then I looked at it again. It began climbing up the invisible “thread” to the ceiling. And suddenly it began disappearing—very gradually, as though it were slowly crawling behind an invisible curtain.
I was stunned. I stared in disbelief as I said to myself, “It wasn’t real!”
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
The other night, while lying in bed, it felt like something had hold of my foot. I quickly sat up, thinking that my husband was teasing me. There was no one there. I lay back down.
A few minutes later something took hold of my left arm, which had been lying limp on my side, and tossed it in the air. I’ve never had this type of experience before.
Tuesday, June 2004
While standing in the main bathroom yesterday, between noon and 12:30pm, I was at the counter when someone touched the back of my head on the left side. It felt as though they were gently lifting my hair.
I turned to see who it was, thinking it was one of my daughters.
There was no one there.
I turned back to the mirror. Suddenly I felt an overwhelming “tingling” sensation, a “hair standing on end” sensation – but only in the spot on my head that had been touched!
My oldest daughter said this happens quite often to her, here upstairs, after everyone has gone to bed and she’s watching TV by herself. She said that something “messes” with her hair.
Wednesday, May 19, 2004
Yesterday, one of my daughters told me about two different occasions when she “saw” someone out of the corner of her eye walking through the hallway, passing from one bedroom to another. When she went to see who it was, she discovered that there was no one there.
My husband I and my oldest daughter all experience this phenomenon in this house.
Friday, May 14, 2004
I was awoken abruptly out of a sound sleep—someone was crying, calling out to me. I thought it was one of my children and even called out, “I’m coming!”
I got up and checked the house—everyone was sound asleep.
The next morning I told my husband about it. He said, “Last night I thought I saw someone walk into the bedroom and I thought it was you—until I realized my hand was on your hip!”
Also...yesterday, the lights in the living room turned themselves on three different times.
Note: The day before these odd occurrences, I had been released from the hospital from an overnight stay for a minor procedure. This is the same hospital that my husband’s girl friend had passed away in three years ago from colon cancer...Her name was Cheryl.
1. The nurse I had the two days I was in the hospital was named...Cheryl.
2. The nurse who prepped me for the procedure was named...Cheryl.
3. The lady who came in to clean my room was...Cheryl’s aunt, her mother’s sister.
Thursday, April 22, 2004
On the last weekend in March my husband and one of my daughters left to take care of some business in Iowa. My oldest daughter and I took advantage of an evening alone, putting the babies to bed early.
We lit white candles and placed them around us on the living room floor. We sat in the midst of it with a ouija board and tried contacting spirits.
We asked “Are there any spirits here now?”
The board answered, “Y’ no?”
Ever since, we have been waking up during the night this past month to find the TV in the living room has been turned on.
During the night, my youngest daughter called out to me in distress from her bedroom. When I went to her, she was thrashing around in her covers, upset and frightened. I asked her what was the matter.
“There’s ‘A Lady’ bothering me,” my daughter told me.
After a few more questions, this is what I got: “The Lady” had been standing beside her bed off and on during the night. The Lady was angry or upset or sad.
Unlike the majority of parents, when my children describe unseen entities and paranormal activity to me, I believe them. Also, while standing by my daughter’s bed talking to her, I had a rush of tingling goose flesh run from the bottom of my feet up my legs. I knew that some kind of presence was in the room.
In order to clear my daughter’s room of this “Lady”; I lit a white candle and some incense, tossed a handful of salt about—including under her bed, and left a small bowl of salt on her night stand. I told my daughter that if “The Lady” came to bother her again, she could just take a pinch of salt and toss it at the entity and it would go away.
Reassured, my child—and I—went back to sleep.
The next day came the daily local newspaper:
Yesterday evening a pregnant young woman, along with her year old baby, was killed in a head on collision with a semi-trailer truck just a few miles north of our home.
This young woman had been the daughter of the people we had bought this house from several years ago.
My daughter was sleeping in what had been this young woman’s bedroom.
Ghosts In My Home - Season 1, Episode 2
Shadow People, Hat Man, Sleep Paralysis,
Old Hag, Negative Energy Vampires, Djinn
Mediums: We See Dead People (Documentary)
Art Bell discusses Black Eyed Children
with David Weatherly on Midnight In The Desert